Apparently, I buy too many records

My wife Helen, like every other woman i've ever lived with, believes that I buy too many records.

Which, as every record-buying man knows, is a ridiculous belief.

I will concede, however, that I do indeed buy a lot of records and that I don't afford them the same amount of listens and attention that I did 20 or 30 years ago.

To this end, I have decided to blog about the records that I buy, in order to help my appreciation of them - and perhaps to show Helen that I don't buy that many records after all.

Because i'm crap with deadlines the blog posts will be sporadic and probably be about a month or 2 behind but that's just the way i am! The posts will not necessarily be actual reviews (most likely comments, at best) and will generally be pretty damn short due to the reasons outlined above. As a writer in a previous existence i have decided not to worry about writing as art in the pieces but, instead, to attempt to convey feeling over semantic (and often grammatic) perfection.

And 'OCRB'? It stands for 'Obsessive Compulsive Record Buying' - a little known mental health affliction that is potentially damaging to the bank account but ultimately life-affirming. It is sad.......but a nice form of sad.

Friday 11 February 2011

Gianni Rossi: Star Vehicle OST (Permanent Vacation)

I'm not 100% sure that the film 'Star Vehicle' actually exists, but im sure as hell that Gianni Rossi doesn't. Rossi is the non-de-plume of Steve Moore, who i've already written about a couple of times this year, and he has set up this pseudonym (and excellently written false biography) to release soundtracks like this and another film (Gutterballs). In some ways this is standard Moore fare - cycling synth waves and Moroder-esq moodswings, but here he adds guitars and there's an amazing bass rumble all over the main theme that creates a devastating effect. The music is a perfect tribute to the similar work done in the time this was supposed to have been recorded (there's a 'copyright MCMLXXXII' note on the back) and it works well as both a period piece and also a standalone album of 2011. I'm really falling back in love with this style of music and it's probably only a matter of time before i'm searching out rare John Carpenter soundtracks.....

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff, I think I like his recent solo work the best but this gets my space-disco groove going.

    Just found your blog so will need to spend some time reading through your mighty archive. What can you recommend me?

    Jer
    pansentient.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the ultimate electro disco groove thing i cannot recommend the Den Haan 'Gods from outer space' album high enough.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call: Been listening to Den Haan on Spotify and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! Any similar recommendations?

    ReplyDelete