Apparently, I buy too many records

My wife Helen, like every other woman i've ever lived with, believes that I buy too many records.

Which, as every record-buying man knows, is a ridiculous belief.

I will concede, however, that I do indeed buy a lot of records and that I don't afford them the same amount of listens and attention that I did 20 or 30 years ago.

To this end, I have decided to blog about the records that I buy, in order to help my appreciation of them - and perhaps to show Helen that I don't buy that many records after all.

Because i'm crap with deadlines the blog posts will be sporadic and probably be about a month or 2 behind but that's just the way i am! The posts will not necessarily be actual reviews (most likely comments, at best) and will generally be pretty damn short due to the reasons outlined above. As a writer in a previous existence i have decided not to worry about writing as art in the pieces but, instead, to attempt to convey feeling over semantic (and often grammatic) perfection.

And 'OCRB'? It stands for 'Obsessive Compulsive Record Buying' - a little known mental health affliction that is potentially damaging to the bank account but ultimately life-affirming. It is sad.......but a nice form of sad.

Monday 9 April 2012

Lockerbie: Olgusjor (Kapitan Platte)

A long time ago, I had to interview a Norwegian band called Lorraine and I spent a great deal of the interview telling them what a misguidedly ugly name they had - the only Lorraines i had ever know were Lorraine Chase, a girl at school and the title of a really shit Bad Manners record. They didn't agree and, in fact, I think I lost them after telling them that all I knew about the Norwegian music scene was that it was famous for 'church burners and murderers'.

Anyway, Lockerbie - an Icelandic band on a German label with a name that brings to mind a terrorist atrocity that killed 270 people. I think you can guess what my first question would be.

Ok, on with music but let's get the lazy comparisons over first. They are from Reykjavik and have a vocalist that sounds, at times, rather like Jonsi. But they are not a Sigur Ros tribute band - they have a much better sense of instrumentation for a start, using trombone and a myriad of strings to give a joyous uplift to this lovely melodic pop music. Perfectly crafted and with a sound that bridges the gap between post rock experimentalism and the commercial side of things, this debut album is an absolute pleasure. Most of the music I listen to is decidedly downbeat in nature and so it makes a welcome change to hear something that oozes vitality like this. 

Make no mistake here - this is NOT light throwaway music but something with incredible depth that manages to sound like a celebration whilst still retaining a serious air of incredible musicality.

Now, make way for some more downbeat stuff....


No comments:

Post a Comment