Apparently, I buy too many records

My wife Helen, like every other woman i've ever lived with, believes that I buy too many records.

Which, as every record-buying man knows, is a ridiculous belief.

I will concede, however, that I do indeed buy a lot of records and that I don't afford them the same amount of listens and attention that I did 20 or 30 years ago.

To this end, I have decided to blog about the records that I buy, in order to help my appreciation of them - and perhaps to show Helen that I don't buy that many records after all.

Because i'm crap with deadlines the blog posts will be sporadic and probably be about a month or 2 behind but that's just the way i am! The posts will not necessarily be actual reviews (most likely comments, at best) and will generally be pretty damn short due to the reasons outlined above. As a writer in a previous existence i have decided not to worry about writing as art in the pieces but, instead, to attempt to convey feeling over semantic (and often grammatic) perfection.

And 'OCRB'? It stands for 'Obsessive Compulsive Record Buying' - a little known mental health affliction that is potentially damaging to the bank account but ultimately life-affirming. It is sad.......but a nice form of sad.

Friday 23 September 2011

M.A.L: The M.A.L tapes (Vinyl on Demand)

In true football parlance, this is a game of two halves. Side one features  7 short tracks of electro experimental  pop and one 11 minute psycho electronic industrial freakout, none of which really light my fire. All of these are from 1980's cassette releases and are pretty typical of a lot of stuff that came out in the post throbbing gristle world in that they are all interesting but not outstanding. The two lengthy tracks from the 1970's on side 2 are a huge improvement - ambient soundscapes using synth and guitars that bring to mind some of the late '70s Ashra Virgin albums, in that they are seemingly meandering but actually have a beautiful purpose. I like the fact that this album (ltd to 600) came with a certificate of ownership (!) but i have to say that i hate the sleeve and label graphics with a passion - they seem to be more suited to some horrible hiphop compilation rather than a (half) classy electronic album. A very bad artistic mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment