Apparently, I buy too many records

My wife Helen, like every other woman i've ever lived with, believes that I buy too many records.

Which, as every record-buying man knows, is a ridiculous belief.

I will concede, however, that I do indeed buy a lot of records and that I don't afford them the same amount of listens and attention that I did 20 or 30 years ago.

To this end, I have decided to blog about the records that I buy, in order to help my appreciation of them - and perhaps to show Helen that I don't buy that many records after all.

Because i'm crap with deadlines the blog posts will be sporadic and probably be about a month or 2 behind but that's just the way i am! The posts will not necessarily be actual reviews (most likely comments, at best) and will generally be pretty damn short due to the reasons outlined above. As a writer in a previous existence i have decided not to worry about writing as art in the pieces but, instead, to attempt to convey feeling over semantic (and often grammatic) perfection.

And 'OCRB'? It stands for 'Obsessive Compulsive Record Buying' - a little known mental health affliction that is potentially damaging to the bank account but ultimately life-affirming. It is sad.......but a nice form of sad.

Friday 17 June 2011

Zombi: Escape Velocity (Relapse)

Fantastic Hipgnosis style sleeve ushers in more retro early 80s synth sounds from Mr's Moore & Paterra. I preordered this bad boy about 3 months in advance to make sure i got one of the coloured vinyl copies and so, by the time it arrived, i'd almost forgotten about it. Also, in this between time, i had been listening to so much other analog synth music  that this seemed, at first listen, kinda just ok. I really liked it but it seemed to be a lot more subtle than previous zombi albums, and Tony's drums were much more understated. It was only with repeated listens that this one really hit me as much as the other zombi albums and is now ahead of most of the pack in the synth-flourishing world of cold wave old wave nu disco or whatever the fuck all this stuff is meant to be lumped in with. Interestingly, each of the pair are given a side each (writing wise, I'm presuming that they played together on all the tracks) which hopefully doesn't spell the death of zombi in the same way that the veritable split album that was Spacemen 3's 'Recurring' - which used the same splitting of tracks as a show of mutual petulance.

No comments:

Post a Comment