Apparently, I buy too many records

My wife Helen, like every other woman i've ever lived with, believes that I buy too many records.

Which, as every record-buying man knows, is a ridiculous belief.

I will concede, however, that I do indeed buy a lot of records and that I don't afford them the same amount of listens and attention that I did 20 or 30 years ago.

To this end, I have decided to blog about the records that I buy, in order to help my appreciation of them - and perhaps to show Helen that I don't buy that many records after all.

Because i'm crap with deadlines the blog posts will be sporadic and probably be about a month or 2 behind but that's just the way i am! The posts will not necessarily be actual reviews (most likely comments, at best) and will generally be pretty damn short due to the reasons outlined above. As a writer in a previous existence i have decided not to worry about writing as art in the pieces but, instead, to attempt to convey feeling over semantic (and often grammatic) perfection.

And 'OCRB'? It stands for 'Obsessive Compulsive Record Buying' - a little known mental health affliction that is potentially damaging to the bank account but ultimately life-affirming. It is sad.......but a nice form of sad.

Friday 17 June 2011

Twilight Singers: Dynamite Steps (Sub Pop)

Greg Dulli is out to steal your woman, make no mistake about that. I have no idea why i always think that whenever i hear his songs but he just gives me that impression - that he will sweet talk your lady and leave her in a quivering mess the next day, whilst he flies off into the night and back to New Orleans. All this misplaced paranoia aside, this new Twilight Singers album is pretty much what you'd expect - well written songs that use equal measures of rock and soul to push Dulli's dubious (sorry, i'm doing it again) emotions forth and take root in your brain in that small place just below your memory - i.e they sound familiar when you next hear them but there is very little that sticks. I don't mean that to sound negative but it's true, the album is very well written/played/produced and stirring to listen to - it just doesn't have the same amount of memorable hooklines that some of his older albums had.

Fuck it.

I'm gonna say what i always think when i hear Twilight Singers albums - IT AINT AS GOOD AS 'GENTLEMEN'.

Sorry, short sighted and utterly stupid, but that album is so special and i love it so much he will always be measured against it, despite my attempts to stay focused on the here and now. So that's that. Truth spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment