Apparently, I buy too many records

My wife Helen, like every other woman i've ever lived with, believes that I buy too many records.

Which, as every record-buying man knows, is a ridiculous belief.

I will concede, however, that I do indeed buy a lot of records and that I don't afford them the same amount of listens and attention that I did 20 or 30 years ago.

To this end, I have decided to blog about the records that I buy, in order to help my appreciation of them - and perhaps to show Helen that I don't buy that many records after all.

Because i'm crap with deadlines the blog posts will be sporadic and probably be about a month or 2 behind but that's just the way i am! The posts will not necessarily be actual reviews (most likely comments, at best) and will generally be pretty damn short due to the reasons outlined above. As a writer in a previous existence i have decided not to worry about writing as art in the pieces but, instead, to attempt to convey feeling over semantic (and often grammatic) perfection.

And 'OCRB'? It stands for 'Obsessive Compulsive Record Buying' - a little known mental health affliction that is potentially damaging to the bank account but ultimately life-affirming. It is sad.......but a nice form of sad.

Thursday 23 June 2011

Colorlist: The fastest way to become the ocean (Serein)

A limited 10" of 4 tracks and 25 minutes of experimental, but hugely listenable, jazz that bustles with invention and cyclic rhythm over gentle melodies. Jeff Parker, post rocking jazz-guitarist-for-hire from Tortoise and a myriad of other bands, guests on the second track and accompanies the loops with abandonment and takes the whole thing into another direction for the 9 minute duration - which could've been twice as long and kept the interest. This is one of those records that, although strictly jazz, could appeal to many an open-eared rock fan - which is never a bad thing as the more people that get into jazz, the better off this old unsyncopated  world will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment