Apparently, I buy too many records

My wife Helen, like every other woman i've ever lived with, believes that I buy too many records.

Which, as every record-buying man knows, is a ridiculous belief.

I will concede, however, that I do indeed buy a lot of records and that I don't afford them the same amount of listens and attention that I did 20 or 30 years ago.

To this end, I have decided to blog about the records that I buy, in order to help my appreciation of them - and perhaps to show Helen that I don't buy that many records after all.

Because i'm crap with deadlines the blog posts will be sporadic and probably be about a month or 2 behind but that's just the way i am! The posts will not necessarily be actual reviews (most likely comments, at best) and will generally be pretty damn short due to the reasons outlined above. As a writer in a previous existence i have decided not to worry about writing as art in the pieces but, instead, to attempt to convey feeling over semantic (and often grammatic) perfection.

And 'OCRB'? It stands for 'Obsessive Compulsive Record Buying' - a little known mental health affliction that is potentially damaging to the bank account but ultimately life-affirming. It is sad.......but a nice form of sad.

Friday 13 May 2011

Nemean Lion: Cast of the moon (Future Recordings)

First of all, it's on Future Recordings and thus was an essential purchase as their eye for detail, ear for quality, and sense of artistic beauty is pretty much second to none. I emphatically trust  the label to release only great music and try to buy everything they release. This album is no exception to the rule and slowly unfolds over piano and guitar, building towards a loud crescendo that never arrives - a rarity in the world of post rock, where the crashing climax (and the journey to and from) is everything. I really appreciated the fact that the music never did what was expected of it and, instead, followed its singularly original path. As always with Future Recordings, the artwork (hand screened & stamped gatefold sleeve, hand numbered) suit the contents beautifully and, again as always, the label have streamed the whole thing for free :(http://futurerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/cast-of-the-moon)
Do yourself a favour - go and have a listen to Nemean Lion and all the other great music there. And then send  the label your money. They deserve it, and so do you.

1 comment: