Apparently, I buy too many records

My wife Helen, like every other woman i've ever lived with, believes that I buy too many records.

Which, as every record-buying man knows, is a ridiculous belief.

I will concede, however, that I do indeed buy a lot of records and that I don't afford them the same amount of listens and attention that I did 20 or 30 years ago.

To this end, I have decided to blog about the records that I buy, in order to help my appreciation of them - and perhaps to show Helen that I don't buy that many records after all.

Because i'm crap with deadlines the blog posts will be sporadic and probably be about a month or 2 behind but that's just the way i am! The posts will not necessarily be actual reviews (most likely comments, at best) and will generally be pretty damn short due to the reasons outlined above. As a writer in a previous existence i have decided not to worry about writing as art in the pieces but, instead, to attempt to convey feeling over semantic (and often grammatic) perfection.

And 'OCRB'? It stands for 'Obsessive Compulsive Record Buying' - a little known mental health affliction that is potentially damaging to the bank account but ultimately life-affirming. It is sad.......but a nice form of sad.

Monday 7 March 2011

Simon Scott: Depart, Repeat (Seven Pieces/Sonic Pieces)

Sonic pieces is one of the premier boutique labels, whereby the creative design of the packaging is easily as important as the creative music within. This is their first vinyl release and the first in a series of seven 7"s - which fills me with the delight that only the addicted collector can feel, but also fills me with the inevitable future dread of missing one in the series as they are going to be increasingly bloody hard to get hold of. Simon Scott was the drummer in Slowdive and a guy i knew quite well 20-odd years ago and neither of these facts influence my utter love of these two tracks. The subtle simplicity of these basic guitar/vocals tunes accentuate the fragility of the lyrics and the clear production by Nils Frahm amplifies the spaces inbetween the notes. When Mr Frahm adds minuscule piano and Mr Scott taps away at a xylophone they prove that you can add more instrumentation and somehow make the songs sparser and even more emotionally affecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment