Apparently, I buy too many records

My wife Helen, like every other woman i've ever lived with, believes that I buy too many records.

Which, as every record-buying man knows, is a ridiculous belief.

I will concede, however, that I do indeed buy a lot of records and that I don't afford them the same amount of listens and attention that I did 20 or 30 years ago.

To this end, I have decided to blog about the records that I buy, in order to help my appreciation of them - and perhaps to show Helen that I don't buy that many records after all.

Because i'm crap with deadlines the blog posts will be sporadic and probably be about a month or 2 behind but that's just the way i am! The posts will not necessarily be actual reviews (most likely comments, at best) and will generally be pretty damn short due to the reasons outlined above. As a writer in a previous existence i have decided not to worry about writing as art in the pieces but, instead, to attempt to convey feeling over semantic (and often grammatic) perfection.

And 'OCRB'? It stands for 'Obsessive Compulsive Record Buying' - a little known mental health affliction that is potentially damaging to the bank account but ultimately life-affirming. It is sad.......but a nice form of sad.

Monday 28 March 2011

Grails: Deep Politics (Temporary Residence Limited)


I've bought a few Grails albums in my time but they've always left me a bit cold - being rather formulaic in the post hardcore world of arty buggers with loud guitars. Bought this one after reading a few manic reviews and by god am i glad i did. Having listened to it at least 20 times in the last few weeks i can honestly say that it is the best thing I've heard all year, and will be a hard one to beat in the next 9 months. Their whole sound is hugely expanded with synths, samples, strings, piano and an atmosphere of elegance to such an extent that they sound like a whole new band and have developed into creating a sound that screws with any preconceived genre expectations. The guitar rarely roars and, when you do hear it (especially on the proto floyd 'deep snow') it blends rather than encompasses. A lot of this sounds rooted in the early 70s but then overlayed with gentle atonal instrumentation to create something which is almost futuristic in scope and intent. Each track sounds like (at least) 2 tracks bolted onto each other that compliment the others stylings and make this a genuinely exciting and sonically fabulous listen. I would be very hurt if i played this to someone and they didn't love it - i would take is as personally as if i had crafted it myself. If you're a huge music fan (and why else would you be bothering reading this?), then you'll know exactly how i feel. In short, if you don't love this....i pity you, as you obviously don't understand fine music.

No comments:

Post a Comment